Whether you are repairing a damaged garage door or upgrading the curb appeal of your home, purchasing a new garage door is something that requires thought. A new garage door is not something homeowners buy very often, so you may not know exactly how to approach the process. Here are a few tips to help you avoid the chaos.
- Determine what look you are going for. Every home has their own bit of character and the perfect garage door can highlight this. There are many styles to choose from within aluminum, wood, and composite wood doors. When considering your options, take into account the maintenance and durability of each type of door.
- Consider purchasing an insulated garage door. The garage door will have an impact on your home’s energy efficiency. Construction materials and insulation technologies have improved significantly. Today’s insulated doors provide a tighter seal against the facade to keep out the elements.
- Understand that purchasing a garage door is separate from a garage door opener. You will want to consider replacing your opener as well, if it is dated or not compatible for the type of garage door you want.
- Do your research on both the installer and the manufacturer of the door. Check into the companies experience. Read reviews and if at all possible speak with previous customers for first hand accounts.
- When deciding on an installation company, make sure you discuss the cost at length and everything that includes.
- Always avoid DIY garage door installation. Installing a garage door without the proper training, experience, or equipment can lead to serious injury or costly repairs.